Dominant City Crushes Bayside

Frank Catela

Mid-week weather forecasts of Polar vortexes and rain of biblical proportions had Glenn considering constructing an Ark for the proposed visit to Sandringham. But this proposal faltered when Glenn could not work out how to covert a cubit into the metric equivalent. There was some concern in the City ranks that we would find ourselves unaccustomed to a wet heavy grass pitch against a team although lower in the rankings but determined to cause an upset. This fear was further heightened by a few notable injuries and absentees. Andy out with an Achilles. Ron out just having had an operation to extend his member and Rick finding the thought of the journey from Woodend to Sandringham impossible without a support team. Lamb was a less notable absentee; he claimed he was protecting us from the less desirable elements of society in the cause of his paid employment.

As the squad exited the changing rooms, the rain that had been falling moments before disappeared and was not to return until the squad re-entered the change rooms at the end of the game. In the time in between the rain, the City side managed to play a game of football. The initial 5 minutes or so wasn’t overly inspiring but eventually the team adapted to a grass surface that many of us hadn’t seen too often of late. The ground wasn’t large and this created a very congested game particularly in the midfield where it was difficult to find much space and aided the opposition in not allowing the City team free movement.

But it did not take long for City team to put Bayside on the back foot with a goal to Steve Harrison within the first ten minutes – pushing the ball into the net on the far past after a nice deep corner from Gaffer Jenkins. Minutes later Steve Harrison added a second goal after a goal mouth flurry of shots from City. Two goals up in quick time and the pattern was set for the remainder of the day. The City team had settled and although not playing at their best still managed to dominate the game against a less skilful and less organised Bayside team.

Steve Harrison was thirsty for a third goal to complete his hat-trick but it was now the turn of the other Steve, of the Brown kind, to add his name to the goal scorer list. Adding the third goal to the tally followed by the fourth goal and not satisfied added a third goal to his personal tally and taking the City total to 5. The game was well and truly over before half time and it was all about continuing to control the game and hopefully add a few more goals to the score line.

As expected the second half continued in similar fashion to the first half with city in complete control and the cramped playing surface probably not allowing city to fully take Bayside apart. However the second half saw City add a further four goals taking the final result to an emphatic 9-0 final score line. Steve Harrison finally managed his third goal after a wonderful string of passes starting with Paul Emery in the City defensive half and working its way through the midfield and into Steve Harrison in the box where a slide tackle brought him down and he converted the resulting penalty. Paul Caridi chipped in with two goals, including a fine header on the far post after a wonderful deep cross from Maurice. Moments earlier Maurice had been involved in his obligatory argument with an opposition player and coping a berating from the Gaffer about getting on with the game or he would be dragged. Maurice also chimed in with a goal in the second half.

The second half witnessed one of the more extraordinary incidents after a series of ball movements across the defence saw Frank pass the ball back to Erick Snowball who was standing not far from the goal post. Although under no particular pressure Erick decided he was going to give the ball a right royal booting up the park but unfortunately ended up slicing under the ball sending it spiralling up and back towards the goal looping over goalkeeper Theo’s head …..Theo recalled later that he was struggling to remember the rules at this point and whether he could handle the ball or not. At the same time the collective team all drew a deep breath and watched in amused horror that Erick may have achieved what Bayside could not and that was to put the ball in the City net. Alas Theo gathered the ball cleanly and it was probably one of very few times he was put under any sort of direct pressure in the goal mouth.

No real stand out players across the park – the Gaffer dominated the corner kicks and free kicks for the first half before subbing himself of at half time. He did allow Steve Harrison to take one free kick in the first half, but when he failed to put it on target he was admonished for his efforts and wasn’t going to get another chance. A free kick was given early in the second half and so was the dominance of the Gaffer at free kicks that Frank turned to the bench and yelled if Gary wanted to come on to take the free kick. The double act of Steve Brown and Steve Harrison did what they were paid for bagging a hat-trick each in fine performances. Theo in goal although not called upon often showed great technique and inspired confidence in the goal mouth – a fine stand in for Rick and was part of the Muppet moment of the match. The defence held well with Jeremy and Steve Gough having excellent games at full back and Erick holding down central defence in his usual solid no-nonsense fashion. The midfield was crowded for space at times but as with the rest of the team were in complete control with solid performance from Glenn in the middle and Paul Caridi out wide continually opening up the Bayside team on the left. Overall a solid team performance, well done lads and we push on.

MMM Muppet moment of match – Clearly no contest here. Erick Snowball sliced attempt at clearing the ball from the defence which looped back over Theo’s head almost resulting in an own goal was outstanding….despite Erick claiming it was a cleverly disguised back pass.  
BMW BoP Over all a fine performance from the team as a whole with various players standing out at various times during the day. In this instance I will pick Steve Gough for a solid 90 minutes at Full back.


Some of the first half highlights can be seen via clicking on the word “VIDEO” here.