Legends Bounce Back to Record First Win

Steve Brown

After a very generous rest day Legends 55s campaign re-started with 2 game Tuesday and the first match was against Tassie Dads Army. We continue to be challenged with logistical issues and with both squads having to share the services of Mick in goal he had to rush from one game straight into another without having any chance to rest up.

The team lined up Williams, Snowball, Jenkins, Emery, Stafrace, Lamb, Sinclair, Hughes, Park, Harrison, Sims and an elongated bench of Toth, Catela, Boyte, Bongoletti, Samstag sloss, Gammaldi, Atwood.

In the glaring midday sun it was very different to the balmy conditions of the first match and both teams seemed in no rush to burn up their energy too early. Slowly Legends began to look the more threatening and an Emery throughball found a bemused Toth all on his own and as he advanced on the keeper he chose his spot and proceeded to hit the ball straight at the stunned keeper who very obligingly then played it straight back and Rob was able to bury the ball in the back of the net at the second attempt.

This settled any nerves that the Legends may have had and some good chasing by Harrison forced a defensive error which was seized on by Sinclair who drove to the touchline before cutting the ball across goal for the easiest of tap-ins for Boyte at the far post to double the lead.

The defence were under little pressure and this allowed Emery and Jenkins to push forward allowing Williams a little recovery time in goal and we reached half time with a 2-0 advantage.

With the heat taking its toll several changes were made to keep players as fresh as possible for the second game being played a few hours later. Lgends continued to press forward and the free running Sims sprung the offside trap and raced in on goal waltzing past the keeper and stroking the ball into an empty net to increase the lead to 3-0.

Rathner, making his first appearance after  badly bruising a calf pre tournament, tried to emulate his Australian Masters goal scoring exploits however his back header from Bongoletti’s cross was just wide off the corner flag.

The attacking moves continued and Hughes dribbled into the box, took the ball to the bye line and then watched his attempted cut back slice off his boot and into the goal past a bemused keeper.

Legends then decided to conserve energy and just shut the game down but a spirited Tassie team still kept going and as time was about to run out a speculative shot from the edge of the box was deflected past a dejected Williams who conceded a last minute goal for the second time today.

Final score was a satisfying 4-1 win and the campaign for Gold was back on track.