The Monday Night Blues Continue

Steve Brown

An early start on Monday night for a United team looking to double their score in the wins column with McCulloch in goal, Gough, Dykes, Attwood and Gulec in defence, Moore, Catela, Stock & Whan in midfield and Brown & Boyte up front with Coard, Rathner, Lamb and Sims on the bench.

The first few minutes were a disaster with about 10 attempts to pass to another United player failing and culminating in Beaumaris taking advantage of our inability to string a pass together  and waltzing through the centre to put us 1-0 down within 3 minutes.

We eventually woke up and played some good football working ball well from defence through Dykes and Gulec who set Brown free on the left and his whipped in cross along the 6 yard box just missed Boyte and his defender but was picked up by Moore on the far side who swung it back in for Boyte to get a touch and the ball looped over the keepers head and into the net for a deserved equalizer.

A piece of tactical genius saw sub Lamb replace Brown and within seconds he got his first touch and United were 2-1 up. Boyte drove into the box and his shot was parried by the keeper straight to Lamb who had the simplest of tasks to guide the ball into the empty net from 6 yards out.

However, the glory was short lived as Beaumaris pushed forward again and a dangerous cross into the box was met superbly on the head outjumping Catela (well, at least the attacker jumped) and headed high into roof of net for 2-2.

Beaumaris continued to put pressure on the United defence and shortly before half time they regained the lead for 3-2 at half time but United certainly well in the hunt.

2nd half started with an early opportunity with a cross into box and the keeper failed to hold the ball and Brown pounced only to have his shot ricochet off a defender on the goal line and smack back into his right eye and go out for a goal kick with a contact lens attached to it !!

Lamb replaced Brown  to go off for running repairs and still the United attacking continued and then out of nowhere a well crafted and taken goal for Beaumaris made the score 4-2.

Still plenty of time for United to get back but a lengthy delay occurred whilst Beaumaris changed keepers and on the restart from our goal kick the ball was given straight to a Beaumaris attacker who ran in on goal unopposed to make it 5-2 and effectively kill United’s chances.

However, we battled on manfully and Sims jinked and weaved into the box and was eventually brought down and a penalty was awarded. Strangely he chose not to take the kick himself and Brown stepped up and continued his streak of missing penalties with the (stand-in) keeper getting a boot to his tame attempt – Lamb following up was unable to get his shot on target and the danger was cleared.

A lot of domination from United in the final 15 minutes but we were unable to break down the dogged Beaumaris defence and the final result was a disappointing 5-2 defeat but certainly a far more spirited and cohesive effort all round. 

MMM Memorable moment goes to Eddie Whan  who failed to carry out the simple task of giving the ball back to the opposition when a drop ball was awarded.
MMM Muppet moment goes to Steve Brown for firstly losing a contact lens and then returning with sight restored to miss a penalty that could have kept our hopes alive.
BMW BoP Rod Boyte terrorised the Beaumaris defence the whole game scoring one and creating the other goal.


Leave a Reply