“What a difference a Game makes”


After the disappointment of a 3-0 loss in our last outing, you could sense that Monday night would be a very different story for the City boys, as we looked to get back to winning ways.

The inspiration of World Cup fever, some light hearted banter in the change rooms and a rousing team talk from the Gaffer had everyone pumped for a successful night, against a Sandringham team who themselves would move to second spot with a win.

It was a very dominant first 20 minutes by City.  Rick in goals hardly touched the ball, the defence was rock solid (except for the few occasions where we gave them the ball just to make things interesting) a midfield stringing some nice passes together and the unpredictable pairing of Stevie H and Caridi up front running amuck.  It’s fair to say that it was enjoyable to both play and watch.  It was only a matter of time before we would take the lead.

Over the next 25 minutes City punished Sandringham with 4 goals, unfortunately recalling the who, how and when is a bit unclear for this rookie reporter. From memory the first goal came from some nice build up work down the right which resulted in Andie putting through Caridi who slotted passed the advancing keeper.  A phrase I use loosely to describe our good friend Martin.  With their heads down, it was less than a minute after the restart that City again gained possession and with precision, the Sandringham backline was again dissected by Andie and within the blink of an eye Paul C had rifled the ball in the net to make it 2-0. Goals 3 and 4 belonged to Stevie H. One from a pass/shot(?) from Paul C, where he managed to bundled the ball over the line into an empty net and the other from some nice play down the right where a lovely cross landed at Stevie H’s feet, who did his best to hit the ball over the bar and try to keep Sandringham in the contest.

Due to the cold conditions it was only a short break before the 2nd half commenced.  Among the changes was Ronnie W who first involvement in the game was to exchange some quick passing with Steve H before finding himself in front of goal and slotting passed the Sandringham keeper.

The score remained at 5-0 for a large portion of the second half, partly as a result of the injuries sustained and also as a consequence of the alterations that had to be made to the formation.  The most entertaining event during that period was the “Muppet Moment” of the night. Our “special one”, Andy H sportingly smacked the ball into the back of his opponent’s head when restarting the game from a stoppage.

I’m sad to say that this rookie author was also one of those leaving the field injured and missed the last 20 minutes, enjoying a hot shower whilst his team mates sweated it out. Some tell me it ended at 6-1 with Paul C “claiming” a hat-trick and others including the ref suggesting it was 7-1.

“Surely not” was my response as the boys entered the rooms after the game. Rumour has it that a direct free kick outside the box was struck very tamely and appeared to loop over our cat like goal keeper and into the empty net.

In summary it was a great team performance and an important response to the disappointment of our last game. Let’s hope we can replicate it next week against Bayside.

Some of the first half highlights can be seen via clicking on the word “VIDEO” here.

Leave a Reply